An

An
Report of our EXpedition

Tuesday, May 29, 2012

FIVE QUESTIONS FOR THE ARTIST

1) What is your name?
- DaVaun Sanders www.facebook.com/davaunsanders - 


2) Where are you from?
- Born in Shreveport, Louisiana. Spent time in Idaho, St. Louis and currently reside in Phoenix -

3) What do you do?
- I'm a novelist and screenwriter -

4) What inspired you to pursue your creative career?
- My strongest writing influence is undoubtedly exposure to spoken word. First at Legacy Books and Cafe in the StL. Then in Phoenix beginning with @Divine Valentin, and continuing with opportunities from Black Poet Ventures and @Wisdom.

As for the career aspect, I decided to write full time when the economy tanked and took my design firm down with it. I became serious about the craft of storytelling and left architecture behind for good. I received my first freelance opportunities from @PhxSoul.com and @Iceman Baldy. It's been challenging to hit the reset button on a career, but I don't regret the choice for a second.

My first novel, The Seedbearing Prince, will be out soon. Like my facebook fan page www.facebook.com/davaunsanders or follow me on twitter @davaunwrites for updates -

5) What is your view on the state of the arts?
- There is no better time to be an artist (speaking as an individual born in a country of questionably plentiful resources). The technology we have access to, the specialization in society that allows artists to pursue wherever our creativity can take us is unparalleled. All we need do is add hard work to our vision.

An irony lies in how art is viewed in our society, often as something meant solely for consumption or mindless entertainment. Artists can change this paradigm, but they must be supported by policy decisions which recognize the soul/intellectual nourishment that a robust arts climate can provide for its people -

No comments: