An

An
Report of our EXpedition

Friday, June 1, 2012

FIVE QUESTIONS FOR THE ARTIST

1) What is your name?
- Ashley A. Woods - 

2) Where are you from?
- I was born and raised in Chicago - 

3) What do you do?
- I am a freelance artist (illustrations, story boards, concepts, and comics) - 

4) What inspired you to pursue your creative career?
- I grew up immersed in games, comics, and anime / cartoons and always knew I wanted a career in something related to that. I just always knew that I wanted to be an artist, ever since I was very young. -

5) What is your view on the state of the arts?
- Right now it seems that some schools are cutting art programs which I think is very sad. I believe that our schools need more workshops and classes to encourage and invest in our young artists. I try to help by teaching at various schools and I've taught all ages (preschool to college).

As for industry related topics go... I noticed the line between gaming and movies have blurred a bit with the art direction. Particularly the concept art and even the way some games are executed; they're more lifelike and the cut scenes have a very movie-like quality to them.

With comics, I've noticed a lot of industry artists are turning to kickstarter to launch their own independent titles rather than trying to publish them with brands like Marvel, DC, etc. I find it really interesting. I know some of these artists but have yet to pick their brains about why they are choosing such a route when they already have established careers with these companies. I think it's really intriguing. I think a lot of people's focus are turning more towards what the independents are doing. Now I'm not saying that people will forget Marvel, DC, etc because they won't. But people are scouring the net for new things. I also fear the demise of the printed book since everything is turning digital. Personally, I love holding an actual book in my hand as I read. I can lean my face close to the page and study the art and layout, I can pull back and see the page as a whole and appreciate it, flip the pages back and forth and study the pacing of the story... I've read lots of comics online but i just really prefer to have an actual book in my hands. Also, I'm more likely to be robbed for my phone while reading a comic on it in public than being robbed for the actual comic LOL! -

No comments: