An

An
Report of our EXpedition

Wednesday, November 12, 2014

FIVE QUESTIONS FOR THE ARTIST

1) What is your name?
- My name is Madge Scott 

2) Where are you from?
- I came to the United States from Jamaica thirty years ago.

3) What do you do?
- I tried many things as a new immigrant but pursued nursing as a career. I actually stumbled upon art when I found my young daughters discarded paints. I returned to them when my son went missing in 1997 and tried painting from the calenders in  my home. Princess Diana died around the same time and I was inspired by her way of dress, so I began to carefully look at her pictures and copying what I saw.I still was not comfortable and felt that there was still more I had to do; learning to draw.  Looking at mathematical shapes and reading many books on art helped me tremendously,  I have never had an art class.

4) What inspired you to pursue your creative career?
- A terminally sick husband pushed me into making a decision whether or not to pursue my nursing career,  I chose to care for him and surrendered myself and my art to the universe.There's a force which propels me , no questions about that, a gift from the universe. The discovery of my work in 2005 was amazing for me and I was  suddenly launched into a new world. 
I have been successful in this new venture and feel that art is the only reason for my saneness. I continue to learn from my inner; it's rewarding.  

5) What is your view on the state of the arts?
- As a black artist, I find that we are being pushed aside.  We have to work extremely hard to keep our work in the limelight. We need help, there's not much help coming to us as far as I can tell. My own experiences tells me that we have a fight on our hands.Supporting each other and coming together and sticking together is a key to bringing attention and respect to a wonderful world of super creative people. .

No comments: